Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Projects!

So unfortunately I don't have a picture of it, but lately I've been working on this cool hand-claw-talon thing as my latest concentration piece. I really wanted to burnish it like Ryland's been doing with all of his pieces but I left it out and uncovered last thursday or friday before I left for the weekend...so it dried out. Which is alright, because it's basically finished anyways. But I want to find a dead bird for it to be holding. Does anyone have a dead bird laying around they want to donate? I think Ms. McBride might have one I could at least borrow for the pictures, so I'll ask her about that tomorrow. Also, does anyone have any good ideas for glazing it? I'm tired of just staining my projects...it feels boring and empty to me. But I also don't want to distract from the form of the piece.

3 comments:

  1. You can still pit/barrel/smoke fire it without burnishing, burnishing just makes it shiny. Barrel might be your best bet as it is fairly easy on the piece. Also a crawling glaze like the one I made the year before last and used on my bolt would look cool, you could add different colorants to make it black or whatever color you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this piece, you mention putting something dead in the hands, and personally i think the hand is really strong by itself, if there is something left in the hands then it might draw from the craftmanship of the piece itself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ryland! I will probably end up doing something like that for the glaze.

    ReplyDelete